Sunday, June 3, 2012

Vesuvio

Me & Katie


Saturday morning, I climbed to the top of an active volcano.  It was great fun.
My awesome roommate, Katie, invited me on Friday to with her and her classmate to the top of Mt. Vesuvius (Vesuvio in Italian) on Saturday.  I hesitated about going for a while; I was hoping to hit up Pompeii and Vesuvius when my family got here.  Also, I sprained my left ankle about 3 years ago, and it's been giving me trouble this past week. (too.many.steps.)  In the end, though, I decided to go for it.
I'm really glad I did, for two reasons.
1. No way in the WORLD would I be able to convince my mother, sister, brother, and BFF to climb that. Especially my sister, after the El Yunque incident.
2. I got to climb a freaking volcano.  It was pretty darn cool!  Exhausting and dusty, yes.  But from now until the end of my life, I can say that I climbed Mt. Vesuvius.

(A little clarity: when I say climbed, I mean a bus took us 9/10ths of the way up, and we had to walk up a "gentle slope" to get to the crater at the top.  No judging; it was a LOT of walking!)
Vesuvius before we conquered it
Il biglietto

The 2nd bumpy bus ride up.  It felt like a galloping horse!
The march



The top & the view down

The crater


Apparently some crazy guys find it fun to camp out on the inside of a volcano.
Whatevs.

Lastly, I have a joke for you all:
Vesuvius didn't really erupt at all

Chuck Norris sneezed.







No comments:

Post a Comment